September 4, 2015

A New Era for Jewish Education

Monica Mendel Bensoussan

“The sages said: I have learned much wisdom from my teacher, more from my colleagues and the most from my students.” (BT Ta’anit 7a)

A number of years ago my eldest son (who was 18-years-old at the time) approached my husband and me, announcing that he wanted to participate in a humanitarian mission to Africa in order to work with children affected by HIV/AIDS. After taking a deep breath, I realized how immensely proud I felt. My son wanted to experience the mission of the Jewish people–Tikkun Olam. I immediately set out to investigate Jewish teen organizations which fulfilled this particular ideal and which offered community service opportunities to high school and university students. I came back to my son with a list of Jewish organizations and told him how very proud we were of his desire to “repair the world”. Wrong thing to say! His response to my Jewish pride and full heart was, “Why does everything always have to be so Jewish?!” You see, my husband and I view the world through a Jewish lens. Our lives are defined through Jewish values. Clearly my son did not share our thought process and I suspect it is not shared by many of today’s Jewish teens.

I am the product of the Montreal Jewish day school system (circa 1970s) and have continued my meaningful Jewish journey through adult learning opportunities and Jewish community leadership volunteerism. Through continued education and my hands on involvement in my local community, I have spent a significant amount of time studying the evolution of the Jewish People from biblical times up to, and including, modern day. Subsequently, I have come to the conclusion that the common thread that has linked the many historical periods has been the struggle between innovation and continuity–how our people have consistently and creatively adapted to the ever-changing world around them. For example, prayer has replaced sacrifice, the rabbinate has replaced the priesthood, Torah study has replaced the Temple, and Judaism has become transportable and can survive anywhere. 

As an eager high school student, I recall being inspired and feeling uplifted through my varied Judaic studies courses and teachers. In fact, Talmud class taught by Rabbi Moshe Feder (z”l) was my favourite and most relevant subject. I appreciated the beauty and intricacies of debate, viewing each challenging Talmudic conversation as relevant to my life. In addition, I learned skills and values: the ability to see and evaluate both sides of an argument, the ability to speak up for what I believe in, and, as I mentioned above, the ability to see and evaluate the world through a Jewish lens. I gained a clear understanding of my responsibility to give back to my community through Chesed and Maasim Tovim. These skills and values have served me well throughout my life and guided much of my activity and decision making daily basis. 

Learning the Hebrew language throughout my school years was exciting, and celebrating the Jewish calendar through festivals broadened my sense of belonging to the Jewish people. My love for, and pride in, the State of Israel began in elementary school and was nurtured in high school through  meaningful Israel trips and stimulating Jewish history classes. In short, my Jewish education was like a cozy blanket that provided comfort and warmth. 

Jewish education has traditionally been viewed as the cornerstone in safeguarding Jewish identity. However, the traditional approaches to Jewish education no longer seem to ignite the same passion in this generation of Jewish students. It does not seem inspiring, or relevant in the way it may have been in past generations. If this is the case, I cannot help but wonder, is Jewish identity and continuity at risk? I believe it is. What worked well for me is not working for my children. Although I have continued my parents’ commitment to Jewish education and have sent my three children to Jewish day schools, I do not see the same end-result as my parents saw. In my day, the makeup of the Jewish community was far more insular. The concept of “the Jewish bubble” characterized my community. Today’s youth grows up in a much more interactive and hands-on world than the somewhat narrow one in which I lived. We were focused on gaining, and absorbing information. Today the information is at our fingertips and the focus is on manipulating it and experiencing it.

We cannot know how this specific period of Jewish history will be labeled as it moves from the present into history, but I do know that it will be recognized as a unique and challenging period for the Jews of the Diaspora‒one which challenged each of us to change the status quo in the transmission of our values and beliefs to the next generation. It is characterized by instant access to information, global communication and a wide range of options. In this fast-paced new world, Judaism in general and Jewish education in particular, are merely choices from a long list of opportunities available to our children. Much of our community has become disenfranchised with Jewish education and do not see the relevance or importance of Jewish education in their families’ lives. If we, as community leaders, continue to believe in the value of Jewish education and its relationship to Jewish identity and continuity, then we must take a close look at current Jewish educational curricula and transform it. I’m not advocating that we do away entirely with the old. I am suggesting that we innovate–asking critical questions such as: What do we keep? What do we discard? What do we modify? How do we impart it? And ultimately, why should families choose Jewish education above other available choices? Education must transform into a dynamic and inspiring entity. It is time to adapt to the “status quo”, changing our present educational landscape to one that speaks to our technologically savvy teens who have access to the world (and the Jewish world) at their fingertips and whose classroom is the world at large.

As president of the board of directors of Talmud Torah | Herzliah in Montreal, I believe that with a consistent focus on creating a blended learning environment which brings more creativity and innovation into our classrooms, we can elevate Jewish education to the ‘best show in town’–the number one choice for all Jewish families. If Jewish education is exciting, cutting edge, challenging and inspiring Montreal Jewish families will want ‘some of that’.  Families will gravitate to a progressive Jewish school that provides the very best educational product, not just in its core curriculum complemented by an extensive extra-curricular program, but one that also boasts an outstanding interactive Judaic studies program. Families will clamour to gain access to a school that gives their children a first class academic education coupled with deep roots and values. The potential is incredible.

Changing the traditional approach to Jewish education is a daunting task. It will require multiple resources including time, effort and commitment on the part of all constituents involved. No investment in curriculum or programming will be effective without an equal investment in quality professional development for our educators. In addition to their mastery of Jewish history, text and liturgy our teachers must also become masters of innovation–in touch and fully engaged in the world of their students. It is our dynamic educators who will inspire and motivate our teens to carry Judaism into the next generation. This new and exciting educational platform will once again inspire our students. Our graduates will embrace their role as the keepers of the faith and as the next link in “the golden chain” m’dor l’dor, from generation to generation.

The legacy of the Jewish People is one of adaptation and innovation. Why not use these invaluable traits which have served us so well throughout history and infuse them into our education system? I have been so fortunate to work with professional and lay leaders who are passionate about Jewish education. I am confident that together we can make this important and creative transition. I invite you all to join me in this vital journey.





Monica Mendel is married to Haim Bensoussan, and is the mother of three adult children. She is a graduate of Herziah High School of Montreal, the Hebrew University of Jerusalem and the Wexner Heritage Program. Monica has devoted over 20 years to promoting Jewish identity among youth and advancing Jewish education in Montreal. She has been an active community leader serving on the Board of Directors of the Akiva School, Bronfman Jewish Education Centre, the Association of Jewish Day Schools and Talmud Torah | Herzliah. In addition, she has served on numerous community wide committees focused on Jewish Day School sustainability and educational excellence. Monica has been a member of the lay leadership team of Talmud Torah | Herzliah for over a decade. She is presently involved in the school’s CAIS accreditation process, fundraising efforts and strategic planning. Currently, Monica is beginning her second term as president of the board of directors of Talmud Torah | Herzliah. Monica is passionate about Jewish education believing that it is one of the key ingredients necessary to ensure the continuity of the Montreal Jewish Community.



No comments:

Post a Comment