April 30, 2014

MOL Before Shabbat

Memory is an end unto itself. Memory is sacred work. We remember for the sale of remembering. The greatest gift we can give the survivors is memory. Their greatest fear is that no one will tell their stories.

Rabbi Poupko leads a debriefing session after our difficult day. The students are eager to share their reflections, attempt articulating their emotions and ask questions. They are so smart, so respectful, so insightful. I have learned so much from them. The students listen to each other with such respect. Rabbi Poupko does not answer questions but rather stresses the point that we do not participate in the March of the Living in order to find answers. We participate in order to ask better questions.


The madrichim are scheduled to debrief together without the kids after Shabbat dinner. I cannot imagine putting into words any of my thoughts or emotions. I wonder if my fellow chaperones are experiencing the same turmoil that I feel.

Monica Mendel Bensoussan

No comments:

Post a Comment